FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Selecting Annual Choice Benefit
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
sdflyer04

Originally Posted by rny321
It's entirely subjective. Some suite upgrades are more valuable than others. Also, not everyone would value the same upgrade equally. Further, the desirability of a suite upgrade at the same hotel will vary with the number of guests and their expectations. Lastly, the possibility of getting the upgrade anyway would affect the valuation.

The most valuable suite upgrades are those that can be confirmed at the time of booking, as Fairmont allowed. Since SNAs don't clear until a few days before your stay, they aren't as valuable as those that are confirmed earlier. Finally, there is always the possibility that the upgrade would have happened anyway, which may be more likely for higher tier and repeat customers.

For example: I might pay $200 for a suite upgrade at a particular hotel at the time of booking, $100 for one confirmed 5 days out if I didn't expect to get an upgrade on arrival, and less than $50 if I thought I had a good chance of getting upgraded anyway.
Apologies if this gets too far off topic. But, how do they count rooms for a stay that crosses New Years day? I have a stay planned from Dec. 29 to Jan. 5. I was counting 3 nights for that stay (Dec. 29-Jan 1). But, if they count all 7 nights for 2018, then I would have my 50 nights and get the 5 SNA's.