FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:04 am
dabeags

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by betsifur
I saw $20 each way from HOU to FLL in early December. And $25 each way from HOU to LAS in early January. I used to always get early bird, but I'm passing on this. It's always a hassle to make changes, because we have a companion pass, and I guess $30 per trip was my mental limit. I will go back to checking in at T24, and having my A Lister husband save me a middle seat. I always sit by him anyway, he'll just have to get a little more forward about the seat saving, since he is leery of a confrontation over it. He tends to sit by the window, which draws couples to ask for the extra seats. I think he should sit in the middle, and tell anyone that asks that he's saving the window seat. If someone really wants to be a jerk and force themselves over him into the seat, he should have plenty of time to just switch rows.
Agreed, I wonder if they are really going to increase revenue with this. I just booked a bunch of flights for my non status wife solo, and chose to do T24 for all of them instead of EBC which i would normally have done in the past. Frankly the difference between T24 and EBC is only 20 or 30 spots so she is still getting an aisle seat if she wants.

When we fly together she either boards in family with our kid or we do T-24 check in and I save a seat for her. We are about 18 flights in that way without any issues. I also see people saving seats on every single flight and never have seen a confrontation. Normally a bag or coat in a seat is enough for people to know it is being saved and to move on, so your husband shouldn't be concerned, especially if you aren't doing it for a premium seat.