FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More award availability restricted by married segments / connections
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:54 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JPG3392
Thanks to all for the helpful and informative responses to my inquiry. Here is how things have developed and stand now.

1) The 30k award ticket MUC-CLT is no longer available on the 3-4 dates when I prefer to travel, so the option of obtaining a 30k award ticket MUC-CTL and a 7.5k CTL-DCA award ticket is no longer on the table.

2) I have therefore booked and put on hold a 30k award ticket MUC-MAD-BOS-DCA. The hold will last until September 12th. I took this route on an award ticket last July and it's quite satisfactory, apart from the need to get up about 4:30 AM to drive to the airport. If nothing better opens up in the next few days, I'll purchase this set of flights.

Once again, thanks very much!
Good plan. I would book the IB option now, then just keep an eye on availability over the next 10 months. If something better opens up, like the all AA MUC-CLT-DCA routing, you can call AA and switch for no fee (and get a refund of the IB surcharges). Booking this far out, I'd say it's highly likely that something better will pop up, especially as you're only looking for a single economy seat and have a little bit of flexibility in travel days.