FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More award availability restricted by married segments / connections
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:27 pm
domthegreat

Award Space Based on Origin NOT on Segments? (Tell me im not crazy)

I recently had a terribly frustrating experience with AA platinum desk. I was giving an explanation that seems to be complete garbage to me...but I wanted to see if anyone else had some insights that would make me feel less like "im taking crazy pills"

I was trying to book a Saver award on AA EZE-MIA-ORD-JAC for my wive to come with me on a work trip. The normal routing is EZE-DFW-JAC but there is not availability that day. However, my purchased ticket has me going the routing I gave above via MIA. When I search for the entire leg it doesnt show any Saver availability. However, if I search for EZE-MIA I see plenty of saver awards and if I search MIA-ORD-JAC i see tons of seats also. In trying to piece them together I called the platinum desk to have them help me.After more than an hour the supervisor told me I couldn't get it to work because essentially I was being blocked from the saver space on the MIA-ORD-JAC because I was coming from EZE. She told me that there was only a fixed amount of award space available between each city pair...so AA was blocking EZE passengers from having award space to JAC but providing it for people coming from MIA. They told me award availability is based 100% on your origin, not based on a fixed amount of seats made available on each segment.

So this sounds like a lazy and uninformed person trying to make up a reason for why they couldn't explain this problem to me. I let it go for now but I want to make sure I am not going crazy...

Any thought?