FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA PlusPoints / Upgrades for sale on ebay ...(Warning these are not sanctioned by UA)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:31 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
That was me my first couple of years as a 1K. Had no idea. It took a work colleague who thought I was GS as I traveled so much to teach me about status and the benefits. I was not GS as the spend was spread around on various airlines and as I was flying business class did not really care. I knew about using miles to UG on flights to/from Australia - CO/UA but never once when calling about flights and upgrading did a phone agent mention to me about GPUs - a number went unused. I had the card but would just call a general United number - clueless! (Yes I am blonde.)

Obviously since then I have mended my ways, was introduced to FT and now have learned how to use the system.

Certainly never thought about selling a GPU.
I was in the polaris lounge dining area the other day. I started chatting with the guy next to me. It was his second year as 1K. He seemed to know all about R inventory and MR tricks. I lamented about how difficult it is to find R and use the GPUs and his response was "Well you can always sell them". I explained that you cannot. He was in denial and said "But I see them on ebay". After further explanation, I got him through the stages to acceptance. It is easy to forget that FT is a tiny segment of the FF population. Most FF's don't know all their benefits or the best way to use them. You almost need a PhD to understand UA's upgrade process. I've been on this site for 10yrs and I still get confused sometimes.