FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you mind if I borrow your pen?
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:18 am
jinkssick

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Okay, I am sure this has been brought up on here before and I know many people will give me a lot of stick but here goes.

On a domestic economy flight in the US we were asked to fill it an arrivals form, cannot remember the exact flight but it was a 3 hour flight. Me and my wife had a pen in a bag (as we all do) but the plane was so full our bags were taken from overhead and placed a few seats ahead to accommodate people with larger bags.

I asked the gentleman next to me ''Do you mind if I borrow your pen please?". He abruptly said "Yes I do" in a harsh tone. I literally chuckled out loud as I couldnt believe someone would not do a simple favour to borrow a pen. Its not like I would not return it as he was window seat and I suppose my sentence shouldnt have started with "Do you mind...". But I just looked at my wife in disbelief and loud enough for him to hear said ''Who wouldnt let someone a pen!".

I know we as humans are not all the same, I get that, but I have gone out of my way to store heavy luggage for pregnant, elderly, disabled. Lent pens, paper, newspapers during my travels, its no skin off my nose just that scenario ended up being my most awkward moment for remaining journey and felt like I was sat next to someone with measles/cholera.

Maybe someone here will label me as acting 'entitled' but I can assure I maybe many things but not that.