FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta no longer booking domestic group travel
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:00 pm
lexdevil

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Delta no longer booking domestic group travel

I just got off the phone with Delta. I've booked a number of groups with them over the past 30 years, and I was attempting to book a group of 18 from SFO to MSY in late February for a school trip.

Imagine my surprise when the phone agent told me that as of June, Delta is no longer booking groups for domestic travel unless the group has a managed travel agent with a relationship with Delta. This means that school groups, church groups, etc. will no longer be able to book with Delta (unless they are willing to book in smaller numbers on the Delta website). This, of course, does not work, because these groups need the flexibility to change names (for example, when a chaperone needs to be replaced due to illness).

In my case, I was trying to book a school group for which I cannot know the names until December (because of the school's sign up process). I can't, however, wait until that time to book, as I need to set the price of the trip BEFORE the students sign up.

I'm just sitting here stunned that an airline is turning down business. I'll take my business to Southwest where I can get a non-stop flight and the kids will get to check their bags. At the same time, I like Delta and would love to fly them if they would just let me buy tickets.

Weirdly, the Delta website says nothing about this change. The pages on group travel all make it look like I should be able to book a group.

Last edited by lexdevil; Sep 5, 2018 at 4:08 pm