FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Sydney {AUS}
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:45 pm
mingzie

Finally got to try SOTP as it was on my bucket list, being a frequent Hilton stayer.

Here is the comparison:

- Glass breakfast (even though its gone downhill) is significantly better than Feast breakfast. Pastries are of much higher quality. And imo, better variety at Glass. It's also nice that you get both the amenity ($5 of hilton points) as well as full restaurant breakfast. That being said, the breakfast at the new West Hotel Curio BLOWS both out of the water - like - better than asian hotels. Eggs benedict/hash/avocado as a la carte Diamond items are to die for. I don't think either Glass or Feast are amazing, just that Glass is better than Feast. Glass is 'ok'
- Despite the Hyde Park view at SOTP (which being a Sydney sider is nice but not very impressive for me) as well as the slightly higher sqm, there is no way an Executive Suite at SOTP is better than Relaxation Room or Relaxation Suite. Hilton has nicer deco, amazing, huge spa baths, nicer shower and bathroom, bright and more comfy bed. Sheraton was like 'cool', Hilton, I remember the first time seeing the relaxation rooms and suites and trying out the spa baths were like WOW.
- Better pool and gym at Hilton.
- Hilton hotel and exec lounge has gone downhill lately (reduced items and cost cutting - things like reducing water amenity to 250ml and no toothbrushes), but when it as top of its game it can rival Sheraton. Better desserts, better afternoon tea (admittedly tasty supermarket cupcakes at Sheraton but thats vs a scone/jam/cream and additional desert service at Hilton - I'd take the scones + extra dessert any day)
- Awesome self serve policy at Hilton, with no staff hawking you. Grab 10 soft drinks from the fridge, Coke varieties, nice water, hot chocolate. In comparison SOTP lounge is extremely awkward, imagine having to face a staff member if you want a... water... or being watched while you are getting a gummy lolly. Some people prefer this, I'd rather grab my 20 soft drinks and relax in a corner.
- AWESOME bar set up at Hilton Sydney, providing both sit down ask for drink service AND a line up. I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about and complaining about, being able to walk up to a casual line and ask for what drink you want is the bomb.
- Very friendly / down to earth lounge staff at Hilton. Pretentious / upmarket staff at SOTP. Although they are polite, there is no need to hand out or pour a PEPSI MAX like it is a fine dining restaurant.
- Decent prawns at the SOTP lounge, but Hilton also has prawns on some days. I don't eat oysters so can't comment.
- Just as cool options and variety at Hilton lounge imo. Although this has gone downhill as of late and I've noticed they've reduced their options.

So yeah, I don't really see the big fuss about SOTP.

I'll take Relax Room/Suite @ Hilton over Executive Suite @ SOTP any day, I'll take the afternoon tea and breakfast any day, and for that awesome drink line up I'd take hilton lounge on a prawns day anyday.

For how much people rave about SOTP I expected way more.

Last edited by mingzie; Sep 4, 2018 at 11:54 pm