FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated HNL connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:31 pm
HNLbasedFlyer

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
It's the same thing even if you arrive at 1pm. As you say, unless you're lucky, you're not going to get your room for at least a couple of hours, so you check your bags with the bell desk and take advantage of the pool, the bar and the beach. I assume that if you were to arrive early AM you just get breakfast before going to the pool.
That's not really the same thing at all. If I arrive at 1pm, by the time I get my bags and uber/taxi/rental car to the hotel, it is definitely check in time. And a daytime flight, in my experience - is a heck of a lot different than a red-eye for most people especially in economy.

If I arrive at 5am (like the Vegas flight) - I'm groggy (it is not a fun flight - I've done it a few times) - you'd get to Waikiki by 6:30am, you have no shower - you are tired - after you change in a public bathroom and have breakfast (a lot of people don't have breakfast) it's still 8am - so I groggy it out until 10am for the pool - get sunburned off the charts - finally get drinks at 11am when the bar opens - and eventually get into my at 3pm checkin. Then, I'm so exhausted, I can't even rally for evening number 1.

I just don't see a market for that for tourists. Sure, some will do it - once. Fewer, twice or more.

I just don't see a bunch of people leaving at 3am (LAX/SFO) or 1am (EWR) to land at 5am. I don't see the mass market appeal at all. I think Oscar was either mis-quoted or meant something else.