FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cow Do XIV (EZE) - Aug 31 to Sep 03, 2018
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:37 pm
Flying Machine

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wasn't sure what to do and use Global Entry kiosk so just marked goods to declare when i said wine, I was waived through, they didn't ask how much i was bringing.

I had heard a rumor that wine is only subject to the duty free dollar max and not the 1L alcohol limit. Someone else told me in past that they did the math like 14% divide by 750ml * number of bottles. < 1L.
Its more of a paperwork issue versus the duties received. The examiner has to determine the HTS codes applicable for red and white wines, still or sparkling, then they further need to determine if the alcohol percentage is above or below 14.1%. All of this determines the duties and taxes for each particular bottle. So it's just a coding nightmare for them and the amount of duty that they would receive is far less than the labor they would expend by filing a proper entry. Furthermore the best suggestion is always to have an itemized listing of all the wines that you're bringing in and to declare them. As others have stated the most important thing is to Declare.. nine times out of 10 the will wave you through, and the one time in 10 that they decide to open the box they will probably not file the entry and wave you off again..so it's a win for folks bringing in wine whom properly declare the same..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Sep 4, 2018 at 9:20 pm