FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just Nailed United Premier 1K
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
therossinator

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Congratulations to 1K, therossinator!
Did your 6 GPUs already post?
Yes, they posted yesterday, about a day after getting 1K.

Originally Posted by cova
Nice achievement, but don't expect a lot. Main benefits are Group 1 boarding and no change fees on award bookings nor any fee for close in award booking. Plus you get E+ at time of reservation. UA has good award availability to Europe. Don't expect upgrades - so don't worry when they almost never occur.
I already had group 1 with Platinum and E+ with Gold.
The no change fees on award tickets it where it's going to make money for me. Take for example the latest sale United has for awards to Asia, theres a flight that departs at 4:30PM for 32000 miles and one that departs at 8:15PM for 40000 miles with the same connections, shorter layover. I just bought both and if I can somehow make the 4:30 or get same day change to the later flight I just saved 8000 miles. If not just take the later flight and cancel the earlier one.
I get plenty of upgrades already as most of my flights are on unrestricted Y. I am very excited to get instant upgrades in the PN fare class.

Originally Posted by cova
Also, don't expect any special recognition on board. You do get free drink and food item on board domestic, and free drink (above the free beer and wine) for international - but you have to ask for it. At least on AA as EXP the agents see your status on their hand held and offer it automatically.
I mainly fly out of Guam, which has very unique catering for it's routes, like the island hopper doesn't even get buy on board food while most of the other routes from Guam have complementary meal service, except for the HNL route, the longest flight out of Guam, those economy passengers don't get meals.
I've sat next to 1Ks who were proactively recognized, so it does happen. It's nice, but I think it's a little pretentious to have recognition as an expectation. It was never advertised as a benefit of 1K.

Last edited by therossinator; Sep 3, 2018 at 7:36 pm