FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about Vietnam
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:34 am
maverick17

Originally Posted by NYTA
One more question - in booking the cruises in Ha Long it seems like there's two ways to book - on booking.com that doesn't include transfers or from the operator that does (and is more expensive). Would we be better off just booking on Booking.com and arranging our own transport (especially since they want to charge us extra to return to the airport vs. returning to our hotel in Hanoi), or should we go for the "all inclusive" option? Are there better/cheaper ways to book than through booking.com or others?
Figuring out Ha Long was a bit tough for me. There are so many agents for the cruises. Finally I asked some other expats here and they recommended a site called halongbaytours. It was very smooth, they confirmed right away and asked about food allergies and for more details. They take a down payment at booking, then arranged to meet at the hotel in Hanoi to collect the remainder. Transportation to/from the boat was included. Since the airport is a good deal outside town, I think it is reasonable to quote a higher price for that, tbh, but if it's a very large amount you could just hire a car from Ha Long to the airport. (Also, fyi, they just opened a new highway up there, I'm not yet sure if it cuts down on the transportation time for all these tours or not.)

FWIW, I really really enjoyed the 2d 1n cruise we did in 2017, after not expecting to. I did a day tour there about 15 years ago and did not enjoy it much, so my expectations were low. I thought the food was good, the boat was clean and met expectations, and the bay was very pleasant and beautiful, staff was friendly and helpful with my elderly mother.

Originally Posted by NYTA
Coming to Vietnam for 12 days in about 2 weeks from now:

Current Plan:
2 Days Hanoi
1 night, 2 day Halong Bay Cruise
Fly to Danang - taxi to Hoi An
3 days Hoi An
Fly to Saigon
Taxi to Cai Be - 2 days 1 night there
3 days Saigon
Wife wants to add Sapa because a friend told her to but I don't think we have time. Any suggestions? is 3 days in Hoi An too much?

Seems like Sapa is at least 2 days given the travel time.
I'm not a Sapa expert. But I can say you can cut a day out of Hoi An and a day out of Saigon pretty easy. Or take a day trip to the Mekong and cut a day from the floating market excursion as well. Sapa would make things rushed, but if it was a "must-see" for the wife, you could do it.