FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The big debate - fast vs. slow travel
View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:03 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I don't think it is that simple. For instance, I have had short visits to London. A couple longer ones, but a LOT of short ones. Like 8 or 10 a year for a number of years. I think I know London pretty well, so did the cab driver and a Brit friend of mine when I told him he was going the wrong way. He was pissed-off I might add to be given directions by an American, especially since I was right. I've walked countless hours in London, day and night. But virtually all part of visits of less than a day and a half. I think the, well, attitude or possibly the term "mental state" is more important than the time, I'm happy to see better terms to define it. But it isn't just the time of one visit.
Actually, I have historical similar travel patterns. And returning to a place time and time again, even on "short trips" is knowing a place. On one trip to London, many years ago, I left my hotel room and as I was leaving, realized I had left my map in the room, and then had the realization "I don't need it today." A sense of calm and how my relationship with London had developed enveloped my mind. People have asked me over the years why I keep returning to the same places (with periodic new ones thrown in), thinking it is silly to go to London or Paris or wherever, time and time again. Knowing I've been, and likely going back permits for "slow travel" even during a quick trip. I don't need to go up the Eiffel Tower and visit 10 museums in 2 days. I don't need to eat at the "10 best" places in 2 days.

So no, it isn't the time of one visit.