FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:42 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sdsearch
AFAIK, Chase never offered upgrades with a bonus on any card before, and so there's no history of this. If so, we'll have to wait until some tries this and reports back to figure that out. So for now I would assume it does reset the 24-month bonus rule clock until/unless it's proven otherwise.
I pulled the trigger and upgraded for the 20,000 points. I think I'm OK because of this language...

This product is available to you if you do not have the Marriott Rewards Premier or Premier Plus credit card, or have not received a new cardmember bonus for either of these cards within the past 24 months.
Upgrades aren't typically considered getting a "new" card but technically the Premier Plus would be "new" to me, so who knows? Later, I'll report back whether I get a new-card signup bonus when I cancel and reapply. But that won't be until late 2019, so don't hold your breath.

RNE, wondering if someone who doesn't have to wait that long to get under 5/24 would like to give it a whirl and let us know. My lot is cast, but others might be saved in time.