FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:30 am
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I was given two examples. First, most of the hotels exempt government rates from resort fees. Many (or most?) of the "business" guests in these Honolulu hotels are military. Second, the sales office and executive office will handle booking for repeat corporate customers.

I have the updated resort fee card. Basically, nothing is worth the $37-plus-tax daily charge:
--- One macadamia nut candy
--- Fitness classes daily (good luck finding them)
--- Cultural classes daily (good luck finding them)
--- Enhanced internet (supposed to be free for eligible elites)
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily (domestic is supposed to be free for eligible elites)
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads (never gotten the info ever to download)
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (good luck getting it confirmed)

I wouldn't hesitate to ask for the manager-on-duty or general manager and complain about being charged for internet access and telephone calls, which are complimentary for eligible elites. Marriott's new, unified program terms and conditions require a property charging a resort fee for amenities or services that are supposed to be complimentary to provide alternatives.

It appears to be a lame effort by the hotel to justify the resort fee and most of it is clearly directed to tourist and more in particular first timers who else would fall for that crap? Now looking at the Sheraton Princess is on par with the Marriott in points for stay and resort fees.

We can all think "equity capitol" for the continuing ramping up if "nickeling and diming" as we go along. no different than the airlines. At least with the airlines if you have status your more or less immune from them