FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China work/residence permit master thread
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:59 am
trueblu

Programs: BA - Blue
Getting a green card is orders of magnitude more hassle. My university keeps bugging me to get/ apply for one...and I have refused thus far. There are FTers on this forum that are in the process, and I know of someone else who recently got one (a genuine world expert, non-academic, lived in China for most of the last 20 years, and married to a Chinese citizen). He said it was a major, major hassle. I don't plan on retiring in China, so can't see the appeal to us -- but there are genuine (theoretical) advantages. E.g. in academia, top tier universities offer subsidised housing for purchase, but only for Chinese citizens. It's been reported that green card holders will have the same benefit...

If one has geographically diverse income or assets, a green card has major downsides, in that China and the US both tax permanent residents/ citizens on world-wide income, but "normal" residence holders are taxed solely on China income (provided they fulfil certain criteria if staying longer than 5 years in China).