FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The big debate - fast vs. slow travel
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:17 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have really started to like slower travel. I love spending a week in an interesting city. You wander around. Sunday's are especially fun to just spend it like the locals spend (especially in Europe where they know how to spend a Sunday). Just chilling in a city park or following the local crowds to where they are all headed. I like it during solo travel as I just do whatever I want.

There is something so relaxing about unpacking your suitcase for a few days in a hotel and not rushing around trying to hit every spot. I'll be back. And if I won't be back, I'll be someplace else fun.

Some of my favorite days on trips are where I wander with no agenda, no 'sights' to see. Wandering through neighborhoods, city parks, taking transit to interesting parts of the city just to see whats up. People watching. Beer gardens. Cafes. Naps.

I too love walking in European cities. Some of my most enjoyable have been early Sunday mornings in Paris and London, and now that I think about I had a wonderful Sunday morning walk with friends in Tokyo.

But I’ve been trained by work requirements to act when I can. For about 5 years in a row I had to give a talk at a work meeting Wednesday morning then show up at another work function Thursday morning. Wednesday was outside Tokyo and Thursday morning in Florida. And then there were the mileage runs. I hated to do them without seeing something in the city I was flying to. My most common international MR destination was London. And a lot of times, not always, I had nothing planned. I would leave JFK on Friday and get to my room Saturday morning and open up Time Out London and see what’s happening. If nothing then go for a walk. Depends on the moments.