FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Estimating the Diamond Medallion Population
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:18 am
DL-Don

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by 18sas
To the best of my recollection, the DL Amex MQM boost has been in existence since the introduction of MQMs as a separate concept.
Prior to that, miles fell into one of two categories: Base miles and Bonus miles. Only Base miles counted towards status (which is not unlike the MQM concept of today). Miles generated from CC spend *always* fell into the Bonus miles category, at least as long as I have been keeping track of it.

While I've been a medallion member of one tier or another for the last 20 years, I was never a member of the Frequent Flyer program that preceded SkyMiles, so there are a lot of people here with a longer history than mine.
MQM boosts went into effect with the introduction of the DL branded AMEX cards.

In the early days of the original Delta Frequent Flyer Program, AMEX spend on Delta counted toward MM status. Sadly, my employer gave me a Diner's Club card for travel. The DC card spend DID NOT count toward MM status. Also in those days, minimum mileage credit was 1000 miles per segment. I DID benefit from that! ^