FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:20 pm
wonderman

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Do the math as I'm not so sure trying to upgrade (or even holding on) to a NC7 is worth it to everyone. The turn in value of a NC7 is worth 315k points which is sufficient to book 6 nights at a Cat 7 hotel (or Cat 8 through the end of the year) using 5th night free and you would still have 15k points left over. To me, the flexibility of booking with points may not be worth the 45k savings on a 7 night stay. I imagine at the most aspirational properties are going to get exceedingly difficult to find 7 nights in a row...and I might like the flexibility to stay a shorter period anyhow. Bottom line, to me getting a hold of an NC7 isn't a slam dunk (if upgrade cost is based on the turn in value of points - which has been the case thus far).
I like this analysis and it varies on Category, for example comparing NC5/6/7 travel packages vs trading the package in for it's value and using points you get:
NC4 = 45k trade in vs 150k for 7 nights redemption = 105k saving
NC5 = 105k trade in vs 210k for 7 nights redemption = 105k saving
NC6 = 165k trade in vs 300k for 7 nights redemption = 135k saving
NC7 = 315k trade in vs 360k for 7 nights redemption = 45k saving

Sweet spot is NC6 by that maths, although you also have to consider the flexibility you get from points and 5th night free as a 5 night stay.

I'm holding 5 x NC5's. Ideally I'd upgrade to NC6 at the old rates but if thats not possible I think I'll be trading in for the points.