FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:41 am
RNE

I received the following offer via e-mail...

BONUS POINTS
Earn rewards like never before when you upgrade to the new Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card. Enjoy a Free Night Award (valued at up to 35,000 points) every year after your account anniversary.1 You'll also earn 6X points at 6,500+ Marriott Rewards® and SPG® hotels worldwide on the other 364 days of the year.2 Plus, you'll receive 20,000 bonus points after you make your first purchase by 12/31/18
Upgrading will increase your annual fee to $95. As long as you continue to meet our credit criteria, your upgrade request will be approved and your new product benefits will take effect in up to 4 business days. You will also receive a letter in the mail explaining the new fee, when it will apply, and your right to reject the change for this new product.
Background:
  • I have have had my current Marriott card for 4+ years so the 24-month bonus rule doesn't affect me.
  • I am thinking about upgrading to the Plus card for the 20,000 bonus points (I don't mind paying $10.00 extra AF for them).
  • I don't care about any nights toward elite status. I'm happy to stay Silver or even have no status.
  • I am at 12/24 new cards currently but will fall below 5/24 in late 2019.
  • I plan to close my Marriott card sometime in 2019 and reapply for it once I'm below 5/24.
Question:
If I upgrade, does the 20,000 point bonus reset the clock on the 24-month bonus rule, thus thwarting my plan to reapply for the card in late 2019?