FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:10 am
ocdb8r

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by johnstein

I don’t know why you are so negative about the idea upgrading to NC7.

I am pretty sure I will be able to find availability. If not, I can request extension, so I am good in either situation.
I don't think anyone is being overly negative, I think we're all just trying to caution that people really think it through before dropping a big chunk of miles to upgrade to a certificate which gives you (comparatively) the lowest miles savings of any other certificate. Keep in mind you'll only be able to apply an NC7 to future category 8 hotels through the beginning of 2019...after then it will be usable at a smaller set of properties (only Cat 7). I'd also not be so sure you can get an extension....this is officially no longer permitted. Gone are the days when we'll be able to upgrade, downgrade and extend certificates at will.

While I suspect Marriott will relent and allow some limited flexibility on certificates issued prior to the consolidation, I don't think they will allow the same flexibility long term. To me that means I need to be very sure I can use whatever cert I get issued.