FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Top 10 & Bottom 10 Category 8 Hotels
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:48 am
ramalama8

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Interesting concept, but I disagree with the fundamental premise that rack rates are an indication of quality or value. Maldives and Dubai may be expensive location but I have no intention of vacationing in either location. A better ranking would necessarily include the subjective factor of desirability and quality. For example IMO St. Regis Princeville is much more desirable than Maldives (though one could definitely argue about the quality of the rooms etc.) Similarly IMO the St. Regis Aspen and Gritti Palace are desirable all year round (though the rates very depending on season).

In my vision, you would have a top 10 city properties and top 10 resort properties based on desirability and quality, and perhaps subdivide resorts by season as well. My list would include:

City:
  • New York
  • Paris
  • Osaka
  • Venice
  • Miami Beach
  • Rome
  • Florence
Resorts:
  • Aspen
  • Deer Valley
  • Mykonos
  • Bora Bora
  • Princeville
  • Scottsdale
Would not include Maldives and Puerto Rico on my list but I know opinions vary. Would be helpful to have the complete Cat * list linked
funny enough, I don’t disagree. While the Maldives are probably out-of-this-world amazing, the other associated costs while there make it less desirable to me.

But that’s just it - personal preferences are, by definition, highly subjective and thus one can’t really put together an objective, globally useful top 10 or bottom 10 based on one’s own preference. Therefore I used average cost as a substitute for value and desirability. It’s of course not a perfect substitute but there’s certainly a strong positive correlation between the two. If you have an idea for another positively correlated pairing with readily available meta-data, I’m happy to do another analysis.