FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gutted over loss of GFL
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:56 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by EWR764
Now having experienced all four of the Polaris lounges in service, as far as I'm concerned, you can keep the "proper" GFLs! More "exclusive" isn't better; better is better. The food and drinks are of higher-quality (though one can make a reasonable argument in favor of self-pour booze), the service more attentive and amenities exceed any GFL from any time period that I've ever experienced. I've haven't seen a PL approach even 80% of capacity, either, and the serene, quiet atmosphere is pretty consistent across the system.

In fact, the personal assistance I very recently received from an agent at the IAH PL during an IRROPS situation was impeccable. I can't imagine anyone doing much better than she did.

The PL is the most significant product improvement United has ever made, in my view.

I would wager those lamenting the loss of the GFL haven't yet had the opportunity to try the PL. Comparing apples-to-apples, the PL is in another world... though it might have a hard time competing with romantic, nostalgic recollections of bygone eras.
j

I’ll have to take your word, and I can imagine PLs are nicer than the GFLs I’ve visited at IAD and SFO. I find it hard to believe a PL surpasses the LHR GFL, with made-to order and off-menu items prepared by the chef, and the four other people competing for service. I look foward to seeing. PL topping that!