FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gutted over loss of GFL
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:48 pm
J.Edward

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I would wager those lamenting the loss of the GFL hasn't yet had the opportunity to try the PL. Comparing apples-to-apples, the PL is in another world... though it might have a hard time competing with romantic, nostalgic recollections of bygone eras.
Well said.

I've been to the GFLs at IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX and get how people zero in on the exclusive angle. Likewise, I can attest to the higher quality of fare and spirits offered therein compared to the RCCs / UCs, or at least from circa 2006 onwards. So yes, I get how the IFLs were a material cut above the "standard" lounge offering both in tangible and intangible terms.

But - inevitably but - for those lamenting the loss of the GFLs my question to you is this: are you lamenting the actual loss/replacement of the IFLs with PLs >>> or <<< are you melancholy to see the loss of the idea, the dream, the "prestige", or whatever other descriptor you wish to apply to an emotional attachment?

If the former, then my question would be how does the successors of the GFLs, the Polaris Lounges, fall short, if not exceed, the IFLs they replaced? True LAX (and IAD? and whatever other international ones are due) PLs are still in the pipeline, but assuming they were online, can a reasonable argument be made that the offering of UA's new cabin-based lounge falls short of what the IFLs offered regarding amenities?

If the latter and it's just an emotional attachment to Belle Reve of yesteryear, then I'm not quite sure what to suggest. Maybe snuggle up with a tube of cookie dough and take a trip down memory lane?

Code:
https://youtu.be/jJKUMlYzrt0?t=37s