FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it rude to use premier benefits?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by findark
You also can't HUCA the counter agent
In some airports you literally can. For instance, at YYZ there is a separate check in area for AC physically isolated (i.e. barrier) from the kettles for priority check in (i.e. *Gold and J). If an agent gave me an issue there, I could walk to the normal business class AC check in desks at YYZ. However, my experience at UA airports seems to suggest that all the check in desks are located physically beside each other preventing a HUCA!

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I even got yelled at once when I didn't actually take advantage of the Premier line at security.

I was at MCI, and in the United gate security area there was an empty premier line, and about 8-10 people in the regular line (that both feed a single ID checker). I started my walk down the premier line, the first person in line went to the id checker, and family of 4 or 5 or so ditched the security line, leaving only 3 in the regular line. The first woman in the regular immediately jumped up past the wait sign to make sure she was in front of me. The last 2 people were traveling together, and waited for me, and I said "we are the last 3 in line, so please go ahead". They asked if I was "sure" and I said yes and they went ahead of me. That's when the woman who was in front of them goes to me and says "There is just one line here, you know". I politely said "Actually, there are 2 lines". She got a little more agitated and angrily said "No. There is just one line, and we were all in it, and you were not". I probably should have ignored her, but couldn't stop myself saying "There is a Premier Line, and a regular line. The Premier Line is the one I was in, am and eligible for. It is well marked if you would like to go back and see for yourself. And how ridiculous do you sound yelling at me, when I let every person including you in the regular line go before me? I'm literally the last person in line."

She turned around and ignored me after that. The odd thing is, if this woman was allowed any "line cutting" privileges, I'm almost certain she would be the first one to take advantage of it, judging by her actions and attitude.
I've had the opposite situation happen to me before! At ORD there are three possible security lanes you can enter: PreCheck, normal security and priority. As a Nexus and UA Gold member I qualified for all three lanes. I noticed the PreCheck lane had an actual queue, whereas the priority lane was empty so I decide to go up to that one. TSA agent scans boarding pass and checks Nexus card, then proceeds to scold me for using the priority lane, "You're supposed to use the PreCheck lane if it says you're cleared for pre-check".

-James