FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:48 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Horace
It's not unclear what they should do. They should follow the same model as SPF hotels and resorts, such as Westin, Sheraton, and other SPG legacy brands, instead of the the traditional Marriott lounge/breakfast model.

But, yes, I agree that it's unclear what they actually will so. This is uncharted territory for resorts branded as Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta.

For example, I'm looking forward to reading how the Platinum Elite breakfasts at Sheraton and Marriott on Waikiki compare.
With Waikiki, for example, If I read correctly, Plats will continue to be eligible to use the lounges at the Westin Moana and Sheraton but not (if there is one) at the Royal Hawaiian Luxury Collection. For a 3-4 year period, I was at the Marriott Waikiki 8-10 times a year. As a Plat, they would give full buffet breakfast for two in connection with the resort fee. It's been at least a year since I've been back so I'm not sure how they are handling now. The rules would seem to make clear that they need to offer breakfast to a plat + 1.

In my stay at the Cosmopolitan, the rate included breakfast for two on one day of the stay but not every day. I checked in on the 18th so it seems they should have offered it every day but considering it was the 18th and I chose to push the late checkout issue, one needs to pick their battles!

Still, there are places where a legacy MR property and a legacy SPG property are close to each other and the breakfast (as well as upgrades) are material factors in the choice -- for example in Waikiki, in Puerto Vallarta, in Grand Cayman, quickly come to mind.