FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:23 pm
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've certainly complained when I felt there was a major service fail, and have received meaningful comp in a few instances. For less serious service fails, I might mention them on a post-stay survey or drop a star on the TA review. To me, the stuff he's complained about falls in the "less serious" category. I certainly would not be demanding to see a manager because they didn't make up my room when I wanted. And I recalling feeling the Naka Island stunt (parlaying a 15 minute delay into a Villa upgrade) was particularly egregious when I first read that review.
I personally never demanded a comp or a face off with any GM even though I have had my share of service/product shortcomings at properties that claim to be 5-stars. I recall staying in an Astor Suite at the St.R Bangkok when they first opened (January 2012) and there was a nauseating stink coming from the foyer's bathroom. I kept the door to that bathroom shut and prohibited the kids from going there. Really did not want to bother the staff for a move, upgrade, or comp. We were already well taking care of. I alerted front desk and I am sure housekeeping smelled the stink too. After 5 nights, we checked out and I again alerted the FD for the sake of the next guest. I did not demand anything as this was a 5-nights stay on points (paid 48K SPG points for a 5-night stay including my Plat benefits) and we got upgraded to the Metropolitan suite first and then further upgraded to this Astor Suite overlooking the polo club. We were very happy with the product and service (the breakfast at Viu was amazing at the time), and, thus, forgo from constant complain about this minor issue. It was a minor issue to us but I'm sure it would been a big deal for someone else. It's certainly subjective to state what is less serious issue than the next and seriousness (not talking about timely housekeeping in particular) differs from person to person. Having said that, 5-star doesn't only mean collecting 5-star rates but also providing 5-star service and product as I explained above.