FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada VP Ben Smith hired for the Air France - KLM CEO position
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by YOWisHome
Smith did nothing to change the culture at Air Canada. Staff don't feel empowered by the Boss. They don't "follow" the Boss. They don't believe a word he says when that involves how it will benefit them -- They just believe it is good for the top level staff. Your talking about a guy that gave himself Red VIP status so he could even get his meal order before the SE100K members???? Sure that will go over well with showing your "team" that your a leader..........
I won't comment on labour relations with AC as I'm unaware of the goings on behind the scenes at the organizations.

I will say that to characterize that AC as an organization hasn't changed to better serve passengers, in particular premium passengers and super elites is, I think, wrong! I doubt few people on this board would say that they were treated better as an SE100K 5-10 years ago as they are today! From the expansion of concierge service to the introduction of SSLs to make their Intl J product be competitive with the likes of UA, much has changed in the organization to make it a friendlier operation. Speaking from my own experience, I've found that AC support has been proactive, rebooking my family hours before scheduled departure when a flight went MX. Does AC still have a ways to go in terms of customer service and consistency in applying *A policies? Absolutely! This is one of the many reasons why I stick with UA when flying domestically and in general. Knowing that there will be someone there to rebook you when your red-eye goes sideways is something I can count on with UA but cannot with AC, especially at an outstation like SFO. However, AC has been making positive strides in the pax experience department for sometime and it's unfair to say that Mr. Smith's presence hasn't been noticed by fellow AC loyalists and travellers.

Safe Travels,

James