FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - News Blocking
Thread: News Blocking
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:53 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boerne
Currently in London, the link below was blocked both by Project Fi mobile hotspot and Sprint mobile hotspot (they do not overlap). Booted up Witopia VPN using Austin server via project FI and was able to see it. Consider this a thread of news blocking and ways around it. Mods move if I missed an older thread. Ignore if you don't care about news blocking that you can work around. Just for more detail I was using Verisign DNS servers, and I have Blokada and Netguard, no root, on my Moto X4. Those may have caused the issue, but likely not.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...es-homes-shops
FWIW I just tried accessing that article using a hotspot with a Fi SIM card and was able to load it without issue. However, I'm in the US using a MacBook Pro with default DNS settings, so that may be a factor too (though my understanding is that roaming usually causes all data to go through the home country anyway).

As for getting around blocks, VPN is probably one's best bet. That's not 100%, however; I've heard of Netflix and similar being able to determine the country you're in even when connected to one.