FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:23 pm
ozflygirl747

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Reds2011
I had an unexpected win a couple of weeks ago flying out of SYD. Knowing the story, didn't even try ask for the bags to be interlined (separate itinerary on UL ex CMB that only had my QFF number to link them). You can imagine my surprise when the check-in desk asked if I wanted the bags checked all the way through to the destination on the other booking - this was as she was in the act of putting the tags on, which had already printed to my final destination! Both normal revenue tickets, no award travel involved.
When you say separate itinerary ex CMB, on the outbound journey were UL in CMB happ to through check to QF flight ex Asia on separate pnrs ie you would have have bags through checked to SYD and received both the UL and QF boarding pass on your outbound journey?

If so, Altea would have automatically merged the return flights in the checkin system (UL & QF res pnrs remain totally independent of each other). Therefore when you checked in with QF on the way 'home' to CMB they would automatically see the oncarriage flights on UL. When flights are merged in the checkin system it gives the appearance of all flights being the same booking hence bags being tagged to the final destination and both the QF & UL boarding passes issued.

It has nothing to do with your QF ffn being in the UL pnr as the above scenario would happen for someone with no ffn in the bookings.