FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:53 pm
diesteldorf

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually I would not call that great value (or really even good value) when you factor in the opportunity cost in light of 5/24 and Amex's new policy of denying bonuses if you open/close too many cards. With these anti-churning policies in place, most of us need to pick our new cards carefully. Net benefit of $600 (in MR points) over two years is in relative terms not very good at all IMO.
i appreciate your post. I already have the Marriott Premier Rewards Card from Chase, but I was considering the SPG Luxury, since I could still qualify for the 100,000 signup bonus (After today, I won't have that option).
I will already get Marriott status and 15 nights through my Chase card, and the Luxury Card won't do anything to help that.

With regard to 5/24, I am currently at 6, and will be at 5 in October and 4 in March/2019. Luckily, I already have all current Chase cards I need, so 5/24 isn't a huge concern.

For someone that doesn't already have a Marriott or SPG card, I can definitely see how the Luxury Card makes sense. During the first year, you get a signup bonus and $300 credit and a "free" night and $300 credit the second year, easily offsetting the $450 annual fee. Plus, you would still get the Marriott status and 15 qualifying nights.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Certainly not in same league as AMEX Plat, CSR, or Amex Aspire.
Thanks for also validating my previous choices. I have the CSR and enjoy that since I can book directly with the hotel, or use Priceline/Hotels.com to save money, and still earn 3x back. The $300 travel credit can be used even without traveling, via Ubers, buses, subway passes etc.

The Platinum offers a $200 airline and $200 Uber credit, also offers Marriott status, and other benefits that don't overlap with my current cards.

People are right when they say that $300 SPG Luxury credit is much easier to use than the $250 resort credit of the Hilton Amex Aspire. However, the Aspire offers a $250 airline credit and an anniversary night that can be substantially more valuable, as long as you can redeem on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday. As an aside, the Amex Aspire gives the free weekend night during your first year too, unlike the SPG Luxury.

Even if I just use the airline credit and free night, I feel justified in paying the $450 annual fee. This year, I was able to max out the resort AND airline credit AND use my weekend night at a property that normally goes for over $400 Euros.

Now, if I stopped taking Uber AND Amex dramatically altered they way that the Aspire and Platinum airline credits work, I would have to re-evaluate my choices, but, at this point, I think both of those cards, along with the CSR offer more value than the SPG Luxury.