FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HK$1500 for status completion - how many flying next year to make it worthwhile?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:16 pm
miklcct

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
HK$1500 for status completion - how many flying next year to make it worthwhile?

I'm considering a possible short trip in October. I will depart from Hong Kong, preferably on 5th October on a daytime flight to Prague (but can be earlier), and return either on 8th Oct and 9th Oct to Xiamen with no flexibility.

I'm accumulating Aeroflot miles for Skyteam and BA Avios for Oneworld.

I have the following ticket choices:

HK$6073 on KL 5/10 - 9/10 XMN-PRG-XMN
12.5% miles (0% outbound, 25% return), all economy, train ride from HKG to XMN and additional night of hostel stay at XMN needed before departure

HK$6226 on AY 4/10 - 9/10 HKG-PRG-XMN (return routing PRG-HEL-HKG-XMN, hidden city ticketing possible if destination is HKG)
25% avios (25% outbound, 25% return), all economy, no train ride needed but an additional night of hostel stay at PRG is needed

HK$7424 on SU 5/10 - 8/10 HKG-PRG-HKG
125% miles (100% outbound, 150% return), status completion to silver (skyteam elite), economy outbound and premium economy on return, train ride from HKG to XMN needed after returning

Taking the AY flight costs the least but the experience is a pain. The difference between AY and SU is HK$1198 in flight plus HK$410 for train rides (airport express + brand new high speed rail) minus about HK$80 for a hostel stay. How much flying next year do you think it is worthwhile to take the SU flight for status completion along with the extra 100% miles and comfort, including daytime outgoing flight, premium economy return flight and luxurious train ride (rather than inferior AY overnight flight which I will waste 2 whole days in Prague for readjusting sleep pattern afterwards, and the bumpy economy discomfort short-haul flight HKG-XMN).