FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:39 am
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by frenchft

It’s not guys from Utah that can imagine the concept of W or innovate as Starwood did.
It think Frits and the others on the Starwood management team had great vision and creativity. They did some incredible things.

As for the Utah comment ...

1. The Marriott family doesn't run the business anymore. That being said, the concepts are in place and we'd also be much happier if the Marriott family was running the business now to enforce brand standards.
2. Off topic but you ought to read up on SIlconSlopes ...tons of innovation, creativity, going on.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
@MSPeconomist I am most sorry and do not in any way intend to condescend. The discussion had centered only on percentage of suite upgrades. I simply was pointing out that percentage of upgrades doesn’t tell the whole story and that quality of suite upgrades also must be considered as part of the equation, I think. I don’t believe I’d made that point here before, actually.
Of course suites in places like Osaka, Paris, and San Francisco are nicer than those at a Courtyard in New Mexico or Marriott in suburban Detroit. Those hotels also have more suites with the St.R in SF having 20 percent suites so its far easier to get an upgrade. As such, I agree the percentage doesn't tell the whole story and I certainly understand why Bill, the notional sales rep who takes visits two customers a month was amazed at the upgrades he got as an SPG plat when he visited San Francisco when he had only stayed 25 nights a year. (I know that's not you )

But the suite upgrade benefit isn't limited to cities like London and Hong Kong or to the top tier brands. It applies for the whole program and at cities everywhere. Under the old Marriott program. I could reliably count on getting suite upgrades when they were available whether I was in LaCrosse or London, even though the one in London would be nicer and that my upgrade rates in London are 100 percent but less in LaCrosse.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

I agree that a suite at a generic Marriott in the suburbs or a corporate office park probably isn't impressive. But it's the principle. The Marriott Southfield is identical in design to the Marriott Livonia, which is being renovated later this year. The suites at the Livonia property are mostly for hospitality receptions, but are spacious. I would imagine the suites at the Marriott Southfield are identical -- both properties have the exact same building floor plan and exterior architecture -- but renovated.
Agreed. The suites at the Southfield Marriott certainly aren't as nice as BHR's Metropolitan Suite at the SF StR but they are a program benefit and should have been offered. That being said, some of these properties have only hospitality suites with Murphy beds that are less comfortable than the brand standard bed so its a trade off.