FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:41 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
If you actually believe any of this, then you really should focus on Hilton or Hyatt. Seriously: it is 100% what I would do if I genuinely felt that Marriott was evil to the core. I'd switch to Hilton and not think twice about it.

And they have instant Diamond status for a credit card they pay you to carry. They have a global footprint that is reasonably comparable to Marriott. The give Diamonds the same nonupgrades that Marriott gives Platinums. It won't even be painful for you.
Fully intend to once the current PP runs out and my large size SPG pts are used up.

Since you mention HHonors - To be honest, HHonors social media team presence on FT has been very responsive on any issues we have in the past. They replied to PMs, they asked the hotels to verify things, they at least show a front that they CARE their customers.
Earlier this year Hilton FCO suddenly showed our point redemption no longer has the point value paid after the hotel deleted the existing reward table for the month and jumped 15K on some day and no availability on other days. Contacted HHonor representative on FT, got immediate response and subsequent follow up to assure Hotel has the reservation, not to worry. They will keep an eye on and notate the account.
Hotel also has replied with an email to confirm everything is fine. The display change probably is due to HHonor IT when hotel raised redemption prices (revenue-based). We actually have fallen down to the Basic member with Hilton. Yet, the team is just as willing to help a regular member as they would with their Diamonds or Golds.
A friend's recent experiences in Alaska when a Hilton property walked them, have a very satisfactory resolutions from the Corporate and the property itself after a second discussion. Corporate issued goodwill pts. Hotel refunded the point cost + goodwill pts, and issued 2 Be My Guest vouchers as an apology. He, by the way, is also a Regular member with HHonor. I see many Plats have trouble getting their Plat compensation when they are walked or very poorly treated.

The willingness to help demonstrated by HHonor Team is appreciated and valued. Unfortunately, Marriott now no longer shows it actually cares.

This is the fundamental part. It is NO LONGER THE SAME despite it has tried to act this way the 2 years after it acquired a sizable competitor so the SPG folks would not deflect. Now everything is final, you are their captive customer, it no longer needs to put up a false front any more.

Besides, WHY such a big corporation chooses such PECULIAR WAY to communicate to its customers? Have you read anywhere official releases on Marriott's own website? SPG own website?

Had it not for the blogs and FT forums, we the customers would be in even worse shape.

We can accept a rough transition, but we should not accept lies after lies when none of what they said can be delivered. How a company handles crisis clearly shows the company current management's culture. So far, what I see is not a promising sign going forward. Of course YMMV.

You certainly can continue to put your blind faith on Marriott and hope they would recover from the current fiasco which should NEVER happen from the beginning considering they have 2+ years to ponder their approach, and they have 4+ months to actually implement what they want to do. Yet, every area you look, is issues after issues.

For us. and may be many others, our hotel stays are 100% leisure out from our own pocket. We dont have a corporate expense account to foot our bills. How we are being treated by the company we give our hard earned money to, does matter.

May be it is time for you to try other chains and have a real life comparison instead of just keeping a blind faith.may be it is time for you to try other chains and have a real life comparison instead of just keeping a blind faith.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm Reason: correct typos and grammar