FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:20 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
2.5 points per dollar and potential for better upgrades. The latter may be , because there are going to be a gazillion new Plats for the next 5.5 months due to the generous transition rules. I'm guessing Plats are not going to see many free suites this year.
I am guessing there won't be many suite upgrades for anyone other than those who have Suite Night Upgrade Awards. How many millions of those are out there and who holds the bulk of them?

As a Platinum pre merger my upgrades were virtually non-existent. A former SPG property in Seattle would have been happy to upgrade me to a suite if I was happy to gorego my 4:00 pm check-out guarantee. Suites must be vacated by noon! They put me in a standard room requiring 2 different elevators to get to the Lounge.

I was also downgraded at check-in at a Marriott in Puerto Vallarta. Good thing I took a screenshot of my reservation. I was upgraded to an oceanfront suite with a jacuzzi on the deck. After check-in I was given a standard oceanview room.

Access to the lounge & breakfast are all that I am interested in, the rest is just fluff. Some properties are excellent while others dim their lights and travel in the gray area.

Being loyal is not cheap. When it is my dime I would appreciate more consistency.

I was upgraded to PP today. I have 16 stays in the next month and I am not expecting to find anything marginally different from my prior experiences as a Platinum . Maybe I will be surprised.

James