FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:09 pm
serpens

Your question, pred02, piqued my interest since I expect to rent a car in England next month.

Originally Posted by mia
I suggest that you read pages 2-6 of this guide, and then mention any specific language which makes you think that you might not be eligible.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve
There were a couple of things that concerned me. First, the name of the document includes the word Interim. Second, this is the bottom paragraph on page 2 (with formatting removed).

The benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries. Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms of the rental agreement. Please note: Regulations vary outside the United States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental company and Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure your Auto Rental CDW will apply.
It seemed likely that England would be one of "most foreign countries." Still, wanting reassurance, I called the Benefits Administrator, and aside from the five-minute waits (two of them), it was a pleasant call. The representative confirmed that England is not an excluded country, and encouraged me to ask the rental agency if it or the territory terms made coverage not applicable. Then the rep sent a letter to me saying the coverage would apply. (Some of the formatting got fouled up; apparently PDF formatting is not compatible with FlyerTalk.)

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is to verify that [serpens] and any drivers authorized on the car rental agreement, when using Chase Bank
USA, National Association card number ending in [nnnn], are eligible for worldwide coverage under the Auto Rental Collision
Damage Waiver benefit. This includes the previously excluded countries of the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Israel, and
Jamaica. Coverage is not available where it is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms
of the rental agreement.
Subject to the terms and conditions of the Guide to Benefits, the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver reimburses you for
covered theft or damage up to $75,000.Valid administrative and loss-of-use charges imposed by the auto rental company as well
as reasonable towing charges that occur while you are responsible for the rental vehicle are also covered. The following must be
met in order for coverage to apply:
1.Only vehicle rental periods which neither exceed nor are intended to exceed thirty-one (31) consecutive days are covered.
2.The Loss/Damage Waiver offered by the rental agency must be declined by the cardholder in any state or country except
where prohibited by law.
3.The entire rental transaction must be secured and charged to the eligible card.
4.Anyone driving other than the person whose name is embossed on the card must be listed as an authorized driver on the
rental contract.
5.The damage or theft must have taken place during the rental period as outlined on the rental agreement and acknowledged
by the cardholder or authorized driver.
This coverage is primary where available. It does not duplicate insurance provided by or purchased through the car rental
company; it will not pay for losses reimbursed by the cardholder’s own insurer, employer, employer’s insurance or any other valid
insurance.
The coverage specifically excludes antique automobiles; certain vans; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds and motorbikes; limousines;
and recreational vehicles. All claims must be reported immediately following the loss, but in no event later than 60 days following
the date of loss. Please note that other terms and conditions may apply. If you have any questions regarding the Auto Rental
Insurance benefit, please call the benefit administrator at 1-800-356-8955, or call collect at 804-673-1691, 24 hours a day.
I would rather that the letter said England was included, since that was why I called, but it seemed like a good response from the Benefits Administrator.