FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Next USA city?
Thread: Next USA city?
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:57 pm
MarkedMan

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
I’ve always thought BA cut a flight or two to JFK and add it to EWR actually. Friendliest staff you’ll meet on the East Coast too working there
Folks from the western parts of the area are always saying this. Luckily UA put it to the test and figured out what a mistake it was to pull out of JFK. Over 10% loss of traffic in the NYC market and more importantly loss of significant, historical price insensitive corporate contracts which have had a knock on impact. If Disney folks flew UA from LAX to JFK, they also would fly UA LAX-LHR.; now they are on AA/BA. Go figure.

We could discuss if AirTran-->LIRR is more painful or not that EWR options. Not much different to me and JFK gives me the option of subways which can drop me much closer to other destinations (midtown, Tribeca etc etc). But when all is said and done, the people who matter in the NYC market, who pay big bucks for premium seats, they aren't catching a train to Penn. Like it, hate it, think them selfish for booking a limo, think them smart or stupid, they want to fly to JFK and get in a car. That fact is well established. And once you drop your slots there, getting them back is going to be a royal pain, so no matter how nice the folks are at EWR (and I do agree with you it can be a pleasure of an airport in many ways) switching is simply not going to happen IMO.