FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
tonywush

Alright, I'd like to share my final story to others. Thanks to all who shared the code above.

Before 8/18, I upgraded my OC1-5 to OC8, paid 90k hoping to get a better mapping, but I lost the gambling as you all know. My original goal is to cash the OC8 back to 135k, but later I thought may better go with the new NC1-4 and 90k back, which makes more sense to me. I've tried calling few times but as soon as I mentioned "Travel Package" the agent just said no, or we can't touch it until next month, etc those kind of nonsense.

Based on recent posts, I decided to roll the dice again using a slightly different way:
- Platinum elite line, waited 15 mins (not too bad), got a rep whose voice is not sleepy (Good sign). She said this is Marriott Reservation. I asked her "I have a question about the certificate, if you can help or need to transfer me to the rewards team"
- She said she can help.
- I specifically said "I have a P950 Partial Pkg Cat 8, I'd like to cancel it and re-order a new Partial Pkg Cat 1-4. Code is QP83"
- She then looked up system, asked me again about the spelling of QP83. I confirmed twice, and mention this is should only costs 45k points as it is a lower cat cert.
- She asked me to hold on one sec. Not very long silence, assuming she is just pulling the code to verify. Then she confirmed me that I'd like to cancel the P950 to get 135k back, I said yes.
- I have the mobile app, refreshed in real time, and boom, 135k points showed up.
- She asked if I'd like to proceed ordering the new QP83 - Partial Pkg Cat 1-4 using 45k points. I said yes.
- Refreshed app again, 45k paid, got the shiny new cert back.

Hope this helps someone. I believe the keys are:
1) Find a helpful agent. Most of the time you can tell it right away on the first sentence he/she speaks.
2) Mention the Code, which is the key than anything like "Travel Package Cert". Agents' goal is to help customer, if you can just give the clear item they need to locate in the system, then it will be much better off than just explaining your situation and let them to guess what they need to do. Especially to the post-merger Marriott.