FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:06 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by rocketscientess
Hi FlyerTalk, I got some good advice from you in the TWOV thread back in March so I'm back to ask some questions about a Chinese visa. My fiancé (Polish passport) and I are planning a trip to China for December and want to get the ball rolling on his visa application.

To be clear: he will be applying for a tourist visa on a Polish passport.

1) Does anyone have a recommendation for a visa service in the New England area that can handle the process for a non-US citizen here on a visa? Since we've never done this before I'd really love to take a recommendation from someone who has done the process before. A lot of websites I am finding default to instructions for US citizens, and I know we will need extra documentation for non-US.

2) It seems like we need to buy the airplane ticket first and also show confirmation of accommodation. If my fiancé will not be staying in hotels, but rather with my family, will a letter of invitation to stay with them suffice? It seems like that's not typical for tourist visa applications but as my fiancé I don't think he qualifies for the family visit visa.

3) Is denial-of-visa covered by travel insurance when you book a flight? I'm a little skeeved out by needing to buy a pretty expensive flight before confirmation that he can go.

Thanks in advance! Any advice or previous experience is especially appreciated.
Points you should consider, in order:
A) If your fiance is living in the USA on a green card or longer term visa (working, studying, etc) then he should have no problem applying for a visa in the USA as a non-citizen. If he is only in the USA on a short-term visa, it's very likely he will not be allowed to apply in the USA though it's always worth a try.
B) AFAIK, Polish citizens are still on the traditional format of Chinese tourist visas. This means applying for a plain vanilla, single-entry visa that is good for 30 days per stay. With justification as to itinerary and support documentation, a single-entry visa good for a longer period, or a double-entry visa is also possible. With these types of visas, once issued, he has to get to an entry point to China (airport, land border) and activate the visa within 90 days, or the visa will go invalid. Therefore, you DON'T want to apply too early. I would wait to apply until after the first week of October (when Chinese Embassies/Consulates will either be closed or not cranking at full speed due to holiday). Between now and then, you can formulate your itinerary and obtain your international flight tickets.

To your specific questions:
1) You'll need to use the NY Consulate and if you prefer to use an agent, I can recommend www.mychinavisa.com which has been giving excellent results and high quality service to clients in all their offices. They aren't cheap on the service fees but most of the other agents are similar. You can also, without charge or obligation, contact their NYC office and ask their opinion on whether your fiance's Polish passport with US visa will be accepted for processing. There are other good agents out there and I'm sure some forum members will come up with some. I would avoid Travisa, about which I've heard multiple sad anecdotes about them fumbling the ball).

2) You will need confirmed international flight tickets in and out of China. These do not need to be round-trip nor do the endpoints have to be in the USA. Emailed confirmation printouts are fine to use as your supporting documentation. You do not need confirmed seat assignments. I strongly suggest that you keep things simple and use hotel bookings that match up with your itinerary, even if you both will be staying with family. It's so easy to come up with an itinerary (even a bogus one) and make some nonprepaid, cancellable bookings to get the visas. Then cancel the bookings after you get the visas. Make sure that each of your names is on the confirmation reservation for each hotel booking.

Once you get the visas, you are free to change plans at will, without having to report to any Chinese authority in advance. Once you get to China, you can stay with family, who will know how to register you at their local police station. (Hotels and commercial lodging do this automatically for you.)

3) Depends on the insurance policy, or the airline. However, I would say that you and fiance's chances of being denied a Chinese tourist visa are very small. If either of you work for any media company, NGO, religious organization, or any potential red flag employers or freelancing doing same, then there's more question. If either of you have visited Turkey or parts of the Middle East, especially in the last 4-5 years, that might red flag you as well.