FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:13 am
DrAlex

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by AAMCI
Hello,

I am a long time American Airlines flyer, but am very new to the Alaska Airlines program. Several months ago I created new Mileage Plan accounts for myself, my wife, and 2 kids in anticipation that we will want to purchase miles to redeem for travel.

I was targeted for the 50% bonus for purchased Mileage Plan miles, which I plan on taking advantage of. I have some questions about purchasing miles and the Mileage Plan program in general:
  1. Can I purchase multiple batches of miles? On AA, there is a yearly maximum that one can purchase, is there a similar limitation in Mileage Plan? I need 200,000 miles, so I will need purchase those in 3 transactions to maximize the 50% bonus, so I'm trying to figure out if I can purchase all the miles I need into my account or if I need to purchase miles for each of the 4 accounts separately.
  2. Does the credit card used to purchase the miles need to have the same name as the AS account? In other words, can I use credit card in my wife's name (different last name; maiden name) to purchase miles for my AS account?
  3. Can I redeem miles from my account for family members? Our AS accounts are all setup and linked together several months ago.
  4. How long do purchased miles and bonus miles take to deposit?
  5. Can I hold an award reservation on AS for a few days for partner award so I can complete the miles purchase and don't lose the inventory?
I appreciate feedback on these questions, so I can begin making my travel plans. Thank you!
1. I don't believe there is a limit to the number of miles/transactions you can purchase. I'm sure you can buy 1,000,000 miles if you are looking to gamble!
2. Nope
3. Yes, you can redeem from your account for family members. If you by chance have status matched from AA, it would carry some elite benefits if you booked it versus a non-status member.
4. Usually it's instant, but it sounds like this round of bonuses is taking up to 24 hours to post (there are even some 26 hour reports out there *GASP*).
5. Nope, not that I'm aware of (or at least that has been shared here on FT).