FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Armrest Etiquette
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:17 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pcoll
Recently had experience where passenger in middle seat aggressively maintained ownership of both armrests. In the aisle seat, I had to lean into aisle most of the flight as his elbows and upper arms were in my "space". Since my seat control is in right hand arm rest, I have always thought I should have access to that armrest. What are current thoughts on this?
You had to lean into the aisle? What is the option for the one in the middle when pax on both sides invade his/her space? The middle seat indeed DOES get both armrests as the one consolation of sitting in the middle. The middle seat passenger would not have needed to be assertive about the armrest had you not taken the only comfort that person has. He/she always gets both armrests.

I was taught that everyone gets 1 armrest and that one is to be shared. That could be with either window or aisle passenger depending on side of plane.
Exactly how does that work when, with 3 seats together, there are 4 armrests?

So for you in the aisle seat not to "lean into the aisle", you should have the 2 armrests while the middle and window passenger just get one? Come on.

You were misinformed; now you know. Since you feel put out for not having both arm rests as you described above, next time, choose the middle seat for both armrests! Maybe then you'll see why someone squeezed between two people "aggressively maintained ownership of both armrests". The other two in the row were trying to take them from him/her.