FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:04 pm
araknis

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
For what it's worth, there's a thread in the SPG forum where the Lurker stated that the means by which elite years would be calculated is "proprietary." From what I gather from my own experience, they may have thrown in soft landing years (or they may not have, I really never kept track of such things since it didn't matter until recently). Whether they're counting status extended via CCs, etc, is not publicly known as far as I can tell. I think it's possible that we all may see adjustments in both directions going forward -- or what you see today might be what you've been dealt.

At the end of the day, LT status is meant to reward long-term loyalty, and I suppose it's debatable whether or not just having status because reasons is subject to the eye of the beholder...
I'm pretty sure they threw in soft landings and automatic extensions that were given due to the recession. I have way more elite years than I thought I would have .