FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco Post-merger luxury opinions
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:25 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I've been weighing the benefits and drawbacks of several hotels for a 5 day summer vacation me and my wife are taking with Marriott points.

We are considering:

St. Regis - Seems wonderful, although a few of the reviews hint that it can be disappointing for a St. Regis level property
Ritz Carlton - Again, reviews are very good. Not sure whether this is a better option than the SR.
The Palace - I like the history and the 50K redemption rate, which is less than the above 2. I've heard the rooms are very average.
JW Marriott - Not really on the top of our list. Seems 50K is pricey for this property.

We also have been considering just saying forget it to the lux options and staying at the Courtyard downtown, simply because none of the above three are jumping out at us begging to be stayed at.

I am marriott Gold FWIW
I am SPG Plat100 Ambassador level and have stayed at many of the top luxury hotels around the world. I also stay frequently in San Francisco.

What priorities you may have notwithstanding, the St Regis is considered unquestionably the best luxury hotel in the city--not just in the Marriott portfolio. Its service standard is superb, its facilities are top drawer, and its StR brand standard butler service is excellent. It also has some of the best food/beverage in the city. Many love its SoMa location. It's going through a refurbishment in 2019, but it still feels pretty clean and fresh (and very modern). Its bar is one of the best in the city. I'll be staying there for leisure next weekend, and again in Nov for work and in Dec for leisure. I was last there in July.

After that, the RC is unquestionably the next most luxurious. If you like a Club level for food/beverage, the RC may be your best choice. Its location can be a factor for some, though admittedly it's nothing more than a 15-20 min walk between the StR and RC. Service is to a very high standard, and the rooms/suites just had a refurbishment a few years ago. I will be staying there for work in Nov. We toured the hotel while staying at the StR in July.

The Palace and JW are different beasts.

The Palace just finished a room/public spaces renovation and is one of the more beautiful properties in the city. It has a tremendous sense of place that makes you know you're in a historic hotel (brought to modern standard) in San Francisco. It has a great service standard, but it is a large hotel. its lobby bar is considered one of the best in the city, and its food/beverage are also very good. I last stayed here in 2016 but visited again in July.

The JW isn't a proper luxury hotel in the same breath as the others. It never would be ranked along with any of the other 3 properties. The JW brand is about "affordably luxury" according to even Marriott. For luxury adherents, it is closer to "watered-down" luxury. The hotel is bland and could be anywhere, but it is a nice hotel. It's more of a business hotel that's very good than a proper 5 star luxury hotel. I visited this hotel in 2017.