FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Next USA city?
Thread: Next USA city?
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:22 pm
flatlander

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by flatlander
Minneapolis-St Paul. It doesn't have any Oneworld direct flights at all from London and it's about the biggest place not served by the alliance at all.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
BA can’t make Detroit work because of the Delta fortress hub, they’re certainly not going to make Minneapolis work
The difference would be that MSP is actually a desirable destination that is not economically wrecked, while the only reason to fly to Detroit is to board another aircraft to get out of the post-industrial economic disaster ASAP. So MSP might live on O/D traffic at MSP and connections onwards into Europe via LHR the other way. A route on BA to Detroit wouldn't have enough people wanting to travel to Detroit and would not have good onward connections.

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Minneapolis: I thought Delta flew there from London?
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes, Delta Flights 10 and 11.
Yes, I only said there's no Oneworld service there, not no service at all. It seems most unlikely that BA would fly to a second-tier city already served by AA but they can compete with a non-Oneworld carrier.

MSP is certainly a more significant place than Nashville. I doubt the local government would feel any desire to subsidise the route, however, while Nashville just opened their wallet and held it out to BA.