FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofitel Singapore City Centre - Fairmont Singapore challenge
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:33 am
jiunsoh

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I have checked in.

Very underwhelmed and can appreciate what Jasper2009 said. Take away some of the suite upgrade certs the FPC members used to get, its just another hotel.
But it certainly isn't the Sofitel Singapore CC - it's worse.

- Check in, no mention of AccorHotels or loyalty.
- "you are checking in with wife and daughter" was acknowledged. I was not asked if I needed an extra bed for my daughter. Had to arrange that myself this evening.
- welcome drink for 3
- upgrade given (one catagory) to Prestige Room. But the way it was given seemed more like an operational upgrade rather than due to status. Again, no mention of status during check in.
- asked to fill in a form for my welcome emenity "for the next time". Same details I had already filled in previously online. I selected then the chocolate emenity. I had fruits in the room. ; yet the fit gear was correct and in my room.
- room wasn't properly made. Sofa pillow lying on the floor. Obviously no Housekeeping supervisor check.
- room temperature doesn't drop below 24C even though it's set to 20C.
- I can understand why some westerners like this hotel, just like how they like SQ. Very friendly staff. But I have lived here long enough to understand that this is in many cases imposed on them and not genuine. Genuine friendliness is different.
- everything seems so sloooow. Had to call the concierge to arrange for some items to be moved to a hotel chiller. Took them 30mins. Extra bed in the evening took 40mins.
- room is ok, but nothing fancy.

I want to add that I am comparing two specific properties here. This is not a Fairmont vs Sofitel comparison. There are certainly a lot of poor Sofitel properties as well. So far it's not horrible, but apart from the view, there is nothing that would draw me back here.

​​​​​For the Fairmont members out there.... Give the Sofitel Singapore City Centre a try.
what do you mean by "operational upgrade" rather than status?