FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Phone lost at IAH (17 Aug 2018) & now found
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:27 am
economyplusfan

Programs: UA Plat
Cell Phone Found at IAH!

Originally Posted by kale73
I wouldn't give up so quickly. Several years ago I left an iPad in the seat-back pocket of a UAX flight inbound to IAH. I was involved in a VDB that happened after I had boarded the flight and while de-boarding to accept the VDB I forgot my iPad. I realized it about 5 minutes after the plane departed and notified the gate agent, who said she was able to get word to the receiving GA at IAH (not sure about that, but that's what I was told). When I got to IAH about an hour later, I went to the gate where my original flight had arrived. No sign of the iPad. I chalked it up as lost.

Four weeks later I got a phone call from United Lost & Found: "Kale73, we've found your iPad. Where would you like it shipped?"
I got a call from United last night (4 days after the phone went missing) that it was in the United Lost and Found office in Terminal B at IAH. I turned on the cell service remotely and checked the Find my iPhone App, and lo and behold there it is:

A few things to note:

1. There is a green halo around the location, apparently indicating the precision of the locational beacon. I did not notice such a halo when I was tracking my phone after I lost it, but it may have been there, and the apparent excursions onto the tarmac that I noted in my original post may simply have been locational tracking error;
2. Its current location is the United lost and found office, which is in Terminal B at IAH;
3. The process of actually getting the phone back from United has involved two telephone calls from United to me, two calls from me to United, and a rather unsettling final resolution that "An agent in Houston will email you when they have more information on how I can retrieve the lost item." Apparently it would simply involve a visit to the office if I were at IAH.