FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RyanAir refund exchange rate shenanigans
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:32 am
tai4de2

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
RyanAir refund exchange rate shenanigans

Bought a one-way ticket on RyanAir for BGY-STN. Fare was quoted in Euros but actually charged to my card in USD using an unfavorable exchange rate (I am in the USA and using a US credit card). I am an experienced traveler and know to reject dynamic currency conversion in a situation like this but I don’t recall that ever being an option.

Flight was delayed by over three hours and RyanAir promised a full refund if I wanted it. I took them up on it and found that they refunded in Euros directly. So the conversion to USD therefore took place at the market rate.

Basically RyanAir has scammed me out of $30. I get that rates fluctuate but I’m crying foul here. Of course dealing with RyanAir directly has gone nowhere and so I’m disputing the difference in charge vs refund with CapitalOne. I have full documentation of the entire sorry chain of events.

Juat venting I guess. Never even flown this airline and they’ve managed to vex me!