FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta flight delayed 8 hr 21 mins - can I ask for reimbursement re: missed connection
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:35 pm
jdrtravel

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lss250
It was mostly a points and dates issue - For the dates I wanted,I was able to find Delta One tickets from JFK to LHR for 140K Skymiles roundtrip. Going all the way to Vienna through either CDG or AMS would have been a lot more -I think somewhere around 300K, although I don't remember the exact number. Avios flights within Europe are also a bargain (under 10k Avios per flight, generally) and I've had Avios points sitting in my BA account for years that I figured it made sense to use. The Delta - BA connection within terminal 3 at Heathrow was pretty painless - IIRC, only about 20 minutes between getting off the Delta flight and being back in the departures lounge for the BA flight.

But yeah, if I had known how things would turn out, I would have made different choices!

Totally get it. In the future, best to try and at least stay within the same alliance. If there had been a good fare JFK-AMS/CDG and then you purchased a separate ticket on KL or AF I think you would have had a better chance at getting flexibility, especially if you had purchased that ticket from DL, then DL would have been able to handle the rebooking for you from JFK.