FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGW - Flight Information Boards down.
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:14 pm
plunet

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I have no inside knowledge of LGW but I would thing that running FIDS solely from the cloud would be shortsighted unless you have redundant Internet pipes and WAN failover. Clearly they do not have this as a single fibre seems to have brought the service to and abrupt halt.
From what I heard elsewhere, and unverified, there are resilient WAN links for Voda into the airport, but both have gone down. Whether this is for two separate reasons or because of the same root cause I don't know, but you can bet there will be some scrutiny over the actual root cause in a post incident review. I also note that there are reports that the local Voda 3G/4G has gone down but that could be fake news.

From my point of view it seemed a bit odd for Gatwick to finger point the issue at Voda quite so quickly, perhaps they were having problems getting appropriate escalation of the fault and pulled the social media emergency handle. The telcos are really a law unto themselves. Cable and Wireless were not known as Clueless and Witless for no reason (and they're actually Vodafone in the UK now)