FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:06 am
Soccerjoshj07

With a stroke of luck I upgraded my 1-5 to 9 at the end of July. I attached that to Elounda with the thinking is the worst case scenario is I would get 7 nights at an amazing hotel. I'm slightly disappointed the 9 doesn't get to 7 in the new mapping but that was always a pipedream anyway. It's mostly disappointing that it doesn't get to 7 off-peak since it's "up to 60k" and a 7 off peak is 60k. It seems weird to have the credit card certificates points based but the travel package 100% category based, even when they mention the max points in their FT chart/post.

I genuinely feel for everyone who was screwed. My initial strategy was to upgrade my 1-5 to a category 6 and I would have been deeply disappointed. I also almost bought points out of pocket to upgrade to Ritz 1-3 - I would have been disappointed at that too.

Even though I 'won' with this, I still am leary about continuing my loyalty with Marriott. The vibe in the Hyatt's has been much more endearing, and if I'm not getting free breakfast anymore anyway I see no downside. Good luck to everyone, I hope that they allow people to buy up or at the very least refund points. And I hope they allow certificate time/length extensions as sometimes plans change.